Thursday, March 26, 2009

This is TRAGEDY.

Uhm.

No, it's not New Zealand recovering from a delicious 23/3 to post 351/4 at almost 4 an over at the end of the day.

It's not Jesse Ryder scoring another century.

It's not Mr. Twenty20 (although that might be a slightly unfair nickname) Ross Taylor smashing 151 golden runs.

It's not the Indian bowlers and fielders unable to push on after smashing the New Zealand top-order like a coconut at the stone feet of the Supreme Diety for Early Wickets.

No.

It's Dhoni, injured, being unable to play this game.

This is what I call supremely tragic.

What made it all the more painful was how unexpected it was. Nobody outside the team management had any inkling at all that Dhoni had injured his back. Nosir. Not in the slightest.

So, this morning, I woke at 3, right? Annoyed my fellow hostelites, but assured them I was only going to study (which was partly true, anyway) and flipped open my laptop, coffee brewing on the table. At 3:30, I accessed cricinfo, which informed me brightly: "Dhoni out, NZ elect to bat."

WHAT.

I went on to discover that Dhoni was indeed out of the Test match with a bad back (and he even had to have an MRI taken, good lord) and that Sehwag was captaining in his place, and that his wicketkeeping slot was to be usurped, ahem, I mean, taken care of until his return by Dinesh Kaarthick (whom I still dislike, by the way.)

I gazed at the screen numbly, mouth slightly gaping, sipping every now and then from a mug full of the most tasteless coffee I'd ever had, going down like liquid ashes down my throat. Watched the commentary as Zaks and Ishi made a bright start, prying out McIntosh, How and Guptill in quick succession, and yet I couldn't find it in myself to celebrate. One reason was, of course, the shock, and number two, the real New Zealand batting order started only from number 5 (which is quite a clever ploy actually. Have the opposition preening over getting the 'top order' out quickly while the real batsmen make merry).

Jesse Ryder joined Ross Taylor, after which a succession of big black FOURs started coming up on screen, with no sight of an OUT, so I finally snapped out of my daze and shut my laptop down and got back on with my life.

I'm actually rather ashamed that my attachment to one player can throw me off an entire game, but that's the honest truth. I don't feel like I want to follow this match anymore. It's terrible of me, and really, I don't deserve to call myself a cricket fangirl.

Anyhow, great stuff from the NZers - a wonderful comeback after they'd been written off completely by all and sundry. All those over-the-top articles and speculation about how obvious it is that India is going to steamroller X, Y or Z team makes me queasy because it almost always results in something like this. Still, four days to go, you know? Let's see what happens.

Until then: Dhoni, rest up, get better, COME BACK.

2 comments:

Chronoz said...

All hail DK, the next big thing. Well, atleast he was the next big thing some years ago.

Hmmm....Whats even more tragic is India is following on, and we've already lost Viru... Is it Dhoni's magic touch that we are missing? Of course not.

P.S: Stupid Google Reader, never updated me properly.

P.P.S: Irrational Dislike for Dinesh Kaarthick, lol! Nice tag.

P.P.P.S: I still dislike the Dhoni Chap, so don't expect any sympathy or empathy from me.

Maithreyi said...

Aw, you keep track! Thanks so much for commenting!

We are SO missing Dhoni like nobody has ever missed anybody before. There's something about his presence that makes a difference, I don't know. We saw that in the Australia series recently, when the same team seemed like two different entities under Dhoni and Kumble.

No offence to DK (hey, at least I'll try), and his wicketkeeping skills are just as good (or bad) as Dhoni's, but he doesn't pack the same amount of value that Dhoni does batting down the order.

It's not all his fault, he's barely gotten any international match practice while tagging around as the ignonimous 'reserve keeper'.

We are FOLLOWING ON. LORD. THIS IS TRAGEDY.

... AGAIN.

Ha ha, the tag? I tell the truth, man. I have no idea why I dislike him (expectthatIDO, oh yessssss).

Got it. No sympathy/empathy expected. But he will show you! :D