Monday, March 9, 2009

Happy Birthday, Parthiv!




... So I have a confession to make.

Back in 2003, as a hormonal 13 year old fledgling, I'd just begun to take to cricket. For some reason, right from the beginning, even before I was fully aware of what a wicketkeeper did, my favourite player in any team would be the wicketkeeper (all English keepers were and are exceptions). Always.

So there was this dude who was keeping for the Indian team, right? The little one, all of 17, who looked remarkably like he could be my classmate, and as I grew a few years older, he could be my little brother's classmate? Well, I fell for him, chubby cheeks, Wide Eyed Innocent Stare of Doom, adorably diminutive stature and all.

Parthiv Patel was my first celebrity crush.

And this happens to be the first time I'm admitting that publicly, by the way.

I remember being furious when he was dropped after a patch where his wicketkeeping deteriorated into atrocious levels, to be replaced by the likes of Dinesh Kaarthick and Mahendra Singh Dhoni. Nobody could replace Parthiv, I fumed. These replacements will be no good.

Of course, exactly six months later, my affections were firmly centered around a certain long-haired stocky wicketkeeper, but hey. It was bound to happen, right? And I was fourteen.

I still follow Parthiv's exploits now, though; like a big sister I know how to be I feel proud of his achievements, pray for his continued success. Come on. Just look at that face. You can practically feel those parental/older-sibling instincts shooting up.

You can imagine how insanely delighted I was when I learnt that both Dhoni and Parthiv would be playing for Chennai Super Kings. I honestly would never consider atheism again, as obviously there is Somebody up there listening to my secret, coveted desires.

Why this confession? Well today, the little dude turns 24. Tomorrow, he celebrates his first wedding anniversary.

Happy birthday and best wishes for your continued success, Parthu!

4 comments:

Saravanan said...

I just remember him as the guy who carried drinks throughout the 2003 world cup and enjoyed all the benefits of the team that reached the finals...


How cruel I am...

Not Really...

I remeber a brilliant catch that he took to break a crucial partnership when India toured Newzealand earlier in the same year,if i am not wrong that was the sixth wicket and they has still some 80 odd runs to chase.It was business as usual for the bowlers to allow the kiwis to get away with the game.Had we won,he may well have remembered as the one responsible for einning the match and drawing the series....

Maithreyi said...

Saravanan,

Hm... I do remember him driving that drinks cart in the ground in the '03 World Cup with all the wide-eyed delight of the little boy he truly was... little boy, bt with guts of steel!

Was either too young/disinterested to remember the moment you're referring to, but I do remember a particular one from the Epic Tour of Pakistan in 2004. Fourth day of the Rawalpindi Test, India just a few wickets away from a historic series win - and the Indian fielders seemed to have come with their hands thoroughly greased as they fluffed many chances that final day.

Parthiv, who was undergoing a horrendous run of form with the gloves, continuing with the Tour Down Under '03-'04, pulled off a stunning catch down the legside to snap up Yasir Hameed off the bowling of Nehra. The Indians got their butts into it soon after that, and the match was closed out quickly.

I still remember Navjot Singh Sidhu musing on NDTV that day, in that inimitable way of his, on how inversely Parthiv's wicketkeeping and the Indian fielding efforts were related!

Saravanan said...

Maithreyi,

The catch i was refering to happened in an early morning around 4 a.m .those days when i wake up and watch every day of that test match live.I remember those days clearly even now..!

And coming to the match you are referring to, i could not see the series owing to the stupid restrictions in my home not to see cricket as i was writing my board exams then.

I was suprised when I was 16 that at my age ,he represented our country and was even more suprised that he got married atleast a couple of years back ..!

Chronoz said...

Lord, this guy is 24!! Shit. He still looks younger than me. And he's married.

God save us youngsters. :P