Thursday, February 5, 2009

Bee-yoo-ti-full stuff!

... Okay. So I spent the last few minutes of the match trying to come up with a witty name for the ecstatic, puppy-on-a-high blog post I was going to write, but in that cycle-gap between the end of the match and the presentation ceremony, Radhakrishnan Sreenivasan, cricket anchor for Neo Sports for as long as I can remember, made up my mind for me: "Bee-yoo-ti-full" he said. The game, the win, the venue, it was all simply bee-yoo-ti-full. He reminded me of a little kid caught in a stuffy suit in a boring studio with a boring-er Javagal Srinath and Dilip Vengsarkar (dude, wasn't he a selector, like, four months ago? No time to waste when it comes to making easy money) who wanted nothing more than to jump about and hoot and dance and scream. His voice trembled on the 'sensational's, his breathy 'phenomenal's had me raise my eyebrows, partly amused, partly wary. I love the guy's enthusiasm, despair for his obviously-wide but sparingly used vocabulary ("at this... point in time...") but honestly? I'm missing Harsha Bhogle. Now there's a guy who knows how to be enthusiastic about the game without sounding young. Plus, he uses the most delicious metaphors. The writer in me loves listening to his commentary.


... But I digress.


So we won the fourth ODI. Yay.


I'm not going to talk through the match, since I didn't see it live throughout, but apparently India won the toss (again, despite Dhoni changing his call out of some vague pity for Mahela) and elected to bat. Before this match, Dhoni had talked very clearly about how the team intended to try out the reserves, having the series won already. I assumed he would rest one of the centurions of the previous game (presumably Yuvraj), Zaheer Khan and possibly Yusuf Pathan, and replace them with Rohit Sharma, Irfan and Balaji. What I did not expect to see was Sachin's name missing from the XI, to make way for Rohit. Zaheer was rested to accomodate Irfan Pathan, and that was all the changes that were made to the team. Confusing, because I'd expected Sachin raring to go out and play and prove that it'd take more than a bunch of incompetent umpires to bring him down.

Plus, Balaji didn't get to play. Dhoni being Dhoni, escapes my wrath. Just about. Although, MS? He'd better be part of the XI on Sunday. Or... or.... I don't know. I just want to see Balaji play again and feel happy about it 'kay? 'Kay.

The batting performance seemed like a photographic negative of the previous one's. Sehwag, Yuvraj and Yusuf Pathan, who had contributed to the bulk of the scoring on Tuesday, fell cheaply today, while Gambhir, Dhoni and Raina, who weren't substantial last time 'round, had a field day today.

I must admit I was both ecstatic and a little surprised to see Dhoni walk in at number three. Ecstatic because it's been such a long time since I've seen him bat at that position and play a long innings, surprised because it eventually forced Rohit Sharma too low down the order to have any substantial time at the crease - which I thought had the been the point of the whole 'giving the reserves a chance' exercise.

Oh well.

After Sehwag fell early, Dhoni and Gambhir had a huge 188 run partnership for the third wicket - not the first time they're involved in Huge Partnerships of Doom, and certainly not the last - involving some intelligent running straight out of the top drawer, and some lusty hitting toward the end. I know I've complained about the apparent disappearance of the old hard-hitting Dhoni and this was a refreshing reassurance to not only us, but also his IPL bosses. I prayed and hoped for a Dhoni century, and was coming home from college when he was in his 90s. I was barely minutes from the nearest TV when the friend accompanying me received a text informing us that Dhoni had just gotten out for 94. Unfortunately, she told me immediately with an infuriatingly smug grin on her face (she'd been taunting me about the very possibility throughout the hour-long bus ride) and I saw red and boxed her ear and spent the rest of the Indian innings apologising and grovelling (what have you done to me, Dhoni).

Gambhir put up yet another huge score, Raina smashed 49 valuable runs at the end. Gambhir became the 503rd record-breaking wicket for Muralitharan, and although the immediate celebrations were muted because of the sorry position Sri Lanka were in at that stage of the match, it is nothing short of a fantastic acheivement. Muttiah Muralitharan is now the highest wicket-taker in Tests and ODIs, with an astonishing total of 1272 international wickets, and that, at the end of the day, proved to be Sri Lanka's sole reason to celebrate that night.

Praveen and Irfan opened the bowling as India proceeded to defend the 332/5 that they had scored. Praveen bowled tidily enough, but Irfan was simply ripped apart by both Jayasuriya and Dilshan. He finally did get Sanath's wicket, and his first spell figures went something like this: 5-0-45-1. Yeowch. There were parts in the early stages of the Sri Lankan reply when Irfan was being carted around that my gut twisted in trepidation and the sandwich I was eating moved almost warily toward my gullet, like a gate-crasher about to be thrown out by an angry host. I'm not sure why we're even persisting with Irfan anymore. I can't remember the last time he had a good ODI with the national team. If you're gonna nurture him as someone to come up in a say, Andrew Flintoff mould, you might as well give him proper opportunities, not just let him tag along, refusing to let go of something precious that you already spoiled beyond recognition a few years back.

Dilshan left playing the mother of all Stupid and Irresponsible Shots, and although Jayawardene and Sangakkara threatened briefly, the spinners came in and tied down the Sri Lankans so much they were never able to recover - Pragyan Ohja in particular bowled beautifully and the left arm spinner deserved more wickets in his eventually tally of 1 for 34 - and eventually folded up for 265, 67 runs short of the Indian total. There was a brief disruption in play as Dhoni led his team off the field in the middle after someone in the crowd apparently threw stones at Indian fielders fielding in the deep. Not the first time there've been similar complaints of crowd trouble on this tour, and it is most surprising and mildly disturbing, as Sri Lanka has always been touted as a great place to watch and play cricket.

And so the Indians completed a record 9th consecutive win, under Dhoni's captaincy. I love that this team shows no complacency and goes from match to match with the same insatiable thirst for runs, wickets, and eventually victory, the intensity and energy never flagging. Keep it going, guys!

Bee-yoo-ti-full times, indeed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I knew Indian women, especially from Chennai, had a soft corner for this Radhakrishnan dude.

We keep chastising him for his BPO-employee like English accent.